NICARAGUA — February 17 – March 3, 2018
Hike and trek over volcanoes in Nicaragua.
Climb Ecuador has organized a 15-day adventure tour of Nicaragua for the dates of February 17-March 3, 2018, which will include hikes and treks over a number of volcanoes, tours of historical cities (Granada and Leon), and three days at a lush beach resort on the Pacific coast, everything included. This trip is confirmed to go — mostly with past CE clients — but space is somewhat limited. See itinerary below for more details.
1) Nicaragua is a logical next step after our very successful Guatemala campaign last January.
2) There are 19 volcanoes in Nicaragua, of which 9 are active.
3) Nicaragua is as beautiful as Costa Rica but less touristy and less expensive.
4) Nicaragua has 78 nature preserves, parks and wildlife sanctuaries filled with amazing diversity.
5) Nicaragua has some of the best beaches in all of Central America.
6) Nicaragua produces no oil and the government made the admirable decision in 2005 to reduce importing foreign oil in favor of renewable energy. The country quickly ramped up solar, wind and thermal energy facilities and now Nicaragua generates almost 80% of its electricity from renewable energy. The United States produces just 13%. The world should take note and follow Nicaragua’s lead.
ITINERARY for NICARAGUA 2017
FEB. 17: Fly to Managua, Nicaragua. Transfer to the colonial city of Granada. Check into Hotel Granada (www.hotelgranadanicaragua.com). Orientation meeting.
FEB. 18: City tour of the historic center of Granada. Boat tour on Lake Nicaragua, cruising through Las Isletas, an archipelago of 365 tiny tropical islands. Return to Hotel Granada.
FEB. 19: Climb the volcano Mombacho (4,409 feet). Ascend through a tropical forest to the summit with views of Granada, Lake Nicaragua, Laguna de Apoyo and Isla Zapatera. Return to Hotel Granada.
FEB. 20: Drive to Masaya Volcano National Park, Nicaragua’s first and largest national park. Ascend to the edge of the active Santiago Crater and look into the “mouth of hell.” Climb San Fernando volcano and view other volcanic craters. Hike to our campsite Laguna El Tigre. Enjoy an evening swim. Camp.
FEB. 21: Trek to the volcano Cerro Negro. Climb to the top of El Hoyo (“The Hole”) volcano (3,570 feet). Continue hiking down the other side to our campsite. Camp.
FEB. 22: Hike to the top of the volcano Cerro Negro. Trek around Rota volcano to reach the road. Drive to the historic city of Leon, the second-largest city in Nicaragua (to Managua) and once this country’s capital. Check into the Hotel El Convento (www.elconventonicaragua.com).
FEB. 23: City tour of the colonial center of Leon. Rest day. Evening activities in Leon. Second night in the Hotel El Convento.
FEB. 24: Drive north, then trek to Santa Clara volcano. Continue trekking to Telica volcano, one of Nicaragua’s most active. Climb to the summit (3,481 feet). Enjoy views of nearby volcanoes. Descend to Camp Casitas. Camp.